Known as CIRS (Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome), mold Biotoxin illness is a sickness that results from the exposure to the biotoxins commonly found in mold. Biotoxins are the waste products of bacteria, blue-green algae, fungi, and viruses. They are not only biological in nature; they are also toxic; hence the name “biotoxins.” Additionally, they are classified as biological hazards and therefore, a significant health threat.
Mold biotoxin illness is one of several types of illnesses considered a subcategory of CIRS. Since its discovery over 20 years ago, over 7,000 patients in the U.S have been treated for biotoxin exposure. Mold biotoxin illness is most commonly found in buildings that have incurred water damage and contain certain bacteria and fungi that can cause serious health problems when inhaled. That is why it is important that you stay alert about any of the wet spots around the house as moisture is a harbinger for mold and mildew.
What are the Symptoms of Mold Biotoxin Illness?
As with any other biotoxin related disease or illness, there are certain symptoms that you should be aware of. If you have been suffering any of these or a combination thereof, we suggest you speak with your doctor immediately:
- blurred vision, red irritated eyes
- memory issues
- night sweats
- shortness of breath
- unusual pain
There are other serious diseases attributed to mold biotoxin illness such as chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic migraines, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, and Lyme disease. It’s important to be aware of these symptoms as nearly one-quarter of the population in the U.S. is genetically predisposed as being intolerant of mold exposure.
Additional Biotoxin-containing Molds
In addition to the above, there are a number of other molds that you should be aware of since they may contain these biotoxins. There are three that are commonly found in the home including:
- Alternaria – a fuzzy, textured fungus that is brown or dark green colored and typically found in bathtubs, showers, and window sills.
- Penicillium – this is the mold responsible for food spoilage and is usually called “blue mold” or “green mold.” It is a very common mold and is usually found on carpeting, flooring, mattresses, and walls as well as other areas in damp structures.
- Stachybotrys – a.k.a. “black mold”, Stachybotrys has a very distinctive smell and a slimy texture. You’ll usually find it growing on cardboard, paper, and wood.
The biotoxins from these molds can be serious health threats that can lead to the development of chronic illnesses. If you’re concerned about exposure to mold biotoxins, contact Florida Inspections Unlimited at 954-861-0666 and schedule a mold inspection at your convenience. Call us today and let’s eliminate the mold completely.